Friday 15 July 2011

This is a post of Lynne's 'musings' heard from the kids

I am hoping now as parents you should not have trouble getting the kids to school (It may last a little while at least). They have been to 2 village schools, a govt school that operates in the mornings only and is leased by NFO in the afternoon for the kids who cannot afford school, the orphanage classrooms, a 'dump' school along a railway road.....all with 6am starts, no airconditioning, no computers, no walls, no seats, tables of split bamboo, no books or pens, no papers, broken white boards, old blackboards, dirty children with the biggest and most beautiful smiles.....

Some quotes to take to heart...and I will try to add to these...but I must admit my times on the computer are few and far between as I am kept busy by our kids and every other kid in town I am sure...I am sure you will all hear stories about that....quotes include.....

"Lynne is on boot camp..."...........6am get up (what will they say with the 4.20 get up?)

"2500 years old and my arse is on it!" (while sitting on a 2500year old artifact dug up at the French archaelogical dig from Angkor Borei)

"Was that a rat???!!!!" (while cleaning out a rubbish dump at the orphanage...you should not have any trouble getting them to take out the rubbish now)

"Tell us in 20 words or less, what is your opinion of Julia Gillard?" (while hanging out the bus window and stuck in a traffic jam - said to the moto driver adjacent)

"There is a lot of mud" (after a monsoon downpour)

"She's a frog murderer!" (after stepping on one-that no one saw- in a mud patch)

"Why might minesweeper not be a good game to play on the laptop with Cambodians?" (as 2 kids play through the game at the orphanage)

I will add to these as I can, there are so many I forget them all, David is going to write a book. The kids have been fantastic. They are really helpful and have really made a bond with the kids and I am really pleased to say ours do not even shy away from the 'dirty' ones in the village schools - they all have a story and want to learn and talk. The manager of the orphanage is really happy with a couple of boys in particular as they are strong and helpful - get in there and 'muck about'. Two days ago we had a big clean up around the orphanage and made 2 huge piles of bagged rubbish - today a truck came around and our kids loaded it. We should all be proud of them, no one shied away (except me, I was doing deliveries-very well timed David said).

Each day they are mesmerised by the sights and sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment