Sunday 6 July 2014

Our first experience of Cambodia- take 2

Our first day, we've landed in Cambodia in Phnom Penh relieved to have a chance to explore and experience the culture and people who live here. On a day with scorching temperatures as well as heavy rainfall, we noticed lots of differences in comparison to Perth. Drivers in Cambodia not only just drive on the right hand side of the road, they tend to use the middle and left hand side just as much! The general friendliness of the locals was really comforting! All of this came to us as a surprise, the general vibe the group got when on the bus making our way to Takeo was one of really shock and horror. For me personally I felt this was my first glimpse of poverty and I realised how fortunate we are to live in a first world country like Australia.

So after 12 hours on a plane and in a bus we arrived at our hotel! We had a much needed lunch, with chicken, beef, different spices and rice. After that we walked a few kilometres to get our bikes to where Natalie awards the heroes of the day and the most awkward moment of the day. Clara and India's heroic performance of walking two bikes back to the hotel was admirable and for this they were awarded the heroes of the day. The most awkward moment was awarded to myself, for reinforcing that guys can't multi-task! I was unable to pull two bikes at once, so I rode off only to slip over and get a graze on my knee... After having a couple of hours to ourselves we had dinner outside a swamp, personally my favourite meal so far! Salt & pepper squid, fish, soup and rice was a good way to end the day!


Harry

No comments:

Post a Comment